Sunday, August 16, 2026

Macular degeneration and inflammation

Inflammation seems to be getting more attention these days, mostly, I think, because scientists keep making new discoveries. As The New York Times reported, “Inflammation is the product of an incredibly complex network that we’re just beginning to understand.” While inflammation is a very complicated regulatory network, new discoveries are beginning to yield some treatment results.

Inflammatory responses, such as fever, swelling, and redness, are signs that your immune system is engaged in battle, destroying invaders or repairing injuries. If that process doesn’t work quite right, some inflammation lingers, resulting in low-level chronic inflammation, a condition that has been shown to correlate with aging and serious health problems.

The challenge for scientists is figuring out how to reduce inflammation without weakening the body’s ability to fight disease. As one scientist notes, “Turning off the inflammation without knowing exactly why it’s present risks doing more harm than good.”

(The new GLP-1 weight loss drugs seem to reduce inflammation by influencing pathways throughout the body that cause inflammation, but scientists don’t fully understand how it works.)

Researchers are making some progress in developing some helpful drugs. One new drug has been shown to reduce the risk of macular degeneration (and Alzheimer’s) by blocking a specific group of inflammatory proteins. Trials conducted by the Center for Advanced Vision Science at the University of Virginia School of Medicine has shown “very promising results.”  The drug may be available in the next 18 to 24 months. I don’t have macular degeneration, but I know several people who do. I hope the new drug works.

For an introduction to this blog, see I Just Say No; for a list of blog topics, click the Topics tab.

No comments:

Post a Comment