Monday, January 5, 2015

I Just Say No

About twelve years ago, I decided to quit having annual checkups or screenings of any sort. I also refuse prescription medications. Many in the medical profession agree with this stance, but I don’t know any ordinary older people like me who practice it.

I also don’t get sick. The last time I had the flu was 50 years ago. (I realize this is mostly dumb luck. I could drop dead tomorrow.) As long as I’m feeling fine, I will stick with this no checkup/no meds program. This blog explains my reasoning as well as scientific evidence to support my stance.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m grateful to have medical care when I need it, as when I split my kneecap in half. The doc put it back together and the knee works fine. I'm also absolutely in favor of childhood immunization! So I’m not against medical practice per se. I’m simply against unnecessary—and potentially harmful—meds, tests, and procedures. 

I should note that I’m seventy-nine years old. According to Medicare data, half of all beneficiaries over sixty-five have at least three chronic conditions. Twenty-one percent have five or more! I have none. That's partly because of luck, of course, but also because I refuse to be diagnosed with high cholesterol or hypertension or what have you. Let me also assure you that I’m not some miracle of nature. I feel and look my age and have aches and pains aplenty.

Oddly, even though I try to steer clear of the medical system, I read lots of books about medicine. For example, one of my favorites is Overdiagnosed: Making People Sick in the Pursuit of Health, by Dr. H. Gilbert Welch. Welch is a professor of Medicine at the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Research. Another good book is The Truth About the Drug Companies: How They Deceive Us and What to Do About It, by Dr. Marcia Angell, former editor in chief of The New England Journal of Medicine.

So, in this blog, I’m going to share the bits from the books that I think are important to know. Save you the trouble of reading them. Plus I’ll share some of my personal experiences, if anybody cares.

In next week's post, I’ll discuss why you don't need an annual checkup. 

For a list of blog topics, click the Topics tab.

15 comments:

  1. I like the name of your Blog Connie, good info also. The book shelf background looks good, is that your choice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to following along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Connie. We're stuck with the options here, but I'm interested in what you find. I've referred to your book "Hands" several times, re the developmental importance of hand play in the very young. You're welcome to check out the issues Don and I are working on--appreciate all input.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting idea, Connie - many thanks for your reading research - AND your sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you will be quoting the books that most wouldn't read. Will this blog continue long enough that you could share how you personally told a doctor "No" and what kind of resistance you got when you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got lots more to share, a backlog ready to post. Check next week for more about doctor visits. Thanks for your interest!

      Delete
  7. Truly, "If it ain't broke..." My Mom was 81 and NO meds or conditions, util an accident cause her harm. She was never sick either =) I will look forward to me updates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea for a blog! I have enjoyed your writing so much and I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Connie, I just discovered your blog after reading your comment on Jane Brody's Falling Apart article. I have subscribed. Your writing is very clear and informative; it's a pleasure to read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just recently became aware of your kind comment. Thank you so much for it! I sent you an email through your Web site. I hope you got it. (I also ordered one of your books!) If you get this or my other email, would would you please let me know? I'm not sure how this works.

      Delete
  11. Fantastic! Eat right and keep fit. Look both ways before crossing the street. Just like my cats, I go to the doctor only when something is really, really wrong. Don't have time or patience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found yr blog via NYTimes article on patient not getting back to his doctor
    Posted 2 of yr blogs on my facebook page london terrace chiropractic and applied kinesiology
    Looking forward to reading more
    A low carb, moderate fat veggie/fruit loving healthy 64 yr young carnivore

    ReplyDelete