Sunday, October 8, 2017

Questioning inflammation’s role in cardiovascular health

In last week’s post, I wrote about studies that showed the role of inflammation in cardiovascular disease, particularly atherosclerosis (plaque in arteries; also called hardening of the arteries). But what about the Tsimane, a group of subsistence farmers and hunters living in Bolivian jungles? Scientists have been studying these people for 15 years. The Tsimane have frequent infections and show chronically elevated levels of inflammation. Nevertheless, they have very little atherosclerosis.

Their diet consists of 72 percent carbohydrates (corn, rice and plantains that they grow), 14 percent saturated and unsaturated fat, and 14 percent protein. Scientists recently gave 705 of these people cardiac scans to look for the presence of plaque buildup in their arteries. A score of 0 means no buildup; 0 to 99 indicates low levels; 400 or greater indicates high levels. Eighty-five percent scored 0, and only 3 percent exceeded 99. Even among those older than 75, only 8 percent exceeded 99. As a group, their scores were less than one-fifth the scores of people in the United States. Those who did develop some atherosclerosis developed it 25 years later than those in the US.

Their secret? You guessed it: they are constantly on the move, farming, hunting, and gathering. The men spend seven hours or so every day hunting, fishing and poling their canoes. The women gather nuts, farm rice, corn and plantains. Both men and women cover roughly eight miles a day! Goodness! That’s a lot of walking!

After my parents died of heart disease at ages 79 (father) and 85 (mother), I had one of those scans that were all the rage for a while (Oprah was promoting them). Mine was not whole body; just heart. My score was zero: no plaque whatsoever. That was 15 years ago when I was 66. Oddly, it didn’t make me feel immune. I still figure heart disease will do me in. I suppose I could walk eight miles a day. Not.

For an introduction to this blog, see I Just Say No; for a list of blog topics, click the Topics tab.


No comments:

Post a Comment