According to some new studies, certain personality traits are linked to our genetic makeup. Those traits include extroversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism, and openness to experience.
To reach their conclusions, researchers analyzed more than a
million genomes and ten million variants, looking for the variants associated
with personality types. (A genetic variant is a permanent change or difference
in the DNA sequence that helps make us unique.)
The researchers found, for example, that a high extroversion
profile seemed to reduce a person’s risk of anxiety, depression and
post-traumatic stress disorder, presumably because people with that profile are
less likely to internalize their distress and more likely to share it with
others. Neuroticism, which is defined as a tendency toward emotional instability,
was correlated with 10 different psychiatric disorders, plus a higher body mass index and increased rates of smoking.
Your DNA and your experiences interact to mold the person
you become. You and your siblings may have grown up in the same household
environment, but, because of different DNA, your personalities are also likely
to be different.
I went to the 23andMe website to see if my personality
traits might be listed. They’re not, although I did see that there’s 93 percent
chance that I’ve never had dandruff and a 71 percent chance that I don’t have
stretch marks. Both are true. Maybe in a few years they’ll list my personality
traits, although I’ve pretty much figured those out for myself.
For an introduction to this blog, see I Just Say No; for a list of blog topics, click the Topics tab.
No comments:
Post a Comment