Sunday, June 16, 2024

Perusing my medical records

On March 20 and again on May 1, I had “transforaminal epidurals,” a procedure whereby the doc injected corticosteroid medication into spaces between my spinal column and spinal cord in the lower lumbar/sacral area. The idea was to relieve pain by reducing inflammation and swelling caused by my “radiculopathy” (pinched nerve in my spinal column). The treatment, which is temporary, helps lots of people, but not me. According to the doc, the area was too “tight” and the meds couldn’t get through.

The first time I was aware of a problem was about ten years ago when I was having pain in my right calf just below the knee. An orthopedic guy said it was because my knee wobbled. Not. I certainly never associated it with my spine. After the pain became more widespread, an MRI showed that I had “severe spinal stenosis”: a narrowing of the spinal canal that puts pressure on the nerves. (The nerves run from spine to feet.) Anyhow, the point of this discussion has to do with the records of my treatment. Medical records are now available through the “portals” of the big medical conglomerates to which most of us belong (mine is Dignity).

I can’t remember why I decided to look at a couple of my records. One was of my follow-up appointment with the doctor's nurse practitioner. Her notes said that I had “lower back pain” that was expressed as “spasms and cramps.” No! I never said that because I’ve never had lower back pain, cramps, or spasms! (My pain is from hip to foot and is burning, as I told her.) I also looked at the record of one of my procedures. Among other things it said I was given oxygen through a canula (those things they stick up your nose). No! That never happened! There may be more errors. I only looked at a couple of records.

These errors make me mad because they make me feel unseen. Just another old lady with complaints. What's more, I think they exemplify the slap-dash, time-restricted approach used by medical practitioners to meet the institutional requirements of "Medicine Inc." Not only did I get lost in the process, but Medicare was probably charged for the oxygen I never got. 

For an introduction to this blog, see I Just Say No; for a list of blog topics, click the Topics tab.

 

4 comments:

  1. Connie, I hear you, loud and clear. There seems to be a list of what Medicare will/wont pay for. To be reimbursed it seems the docs need to fit us squares into the correct round hole. It seems to have become very difficult to find a physician who listens to what we have to say. Clearly, we have the best understanding of what is happening to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This troubles me too. There's a long but highly informative article on our frustrating health system at The American Prospect this month: https://prospect.org/economy/2024-06-13-fantasyland-general/

      Delete
  2. Hi Connie. This is Bob in Prescott. I have many friends here, OK 6, who use the Bemer pemf technology for various ailment situations like that. I've heard some pretty impressive relief stories and suggest many folks would benefit by looking into Bemer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie, this is Don. I have read the article Bob referred to and I agree it is most troubling.

    ReplyDelete