Sunday, February 4, 2024

The 30-Second Power Test

I came across this information in the January 23rd edition of The New York Times. Apologies to those who have already read this. Although I'm a regular exerciser, I usually avoid writing about it. The topic can be tiresome. But I was curious to see what the 30-second power test was.

According to the article, in addition to cardio, strength, and balance exercises, you also need power—the ability to apply force rapidly, using fast-twitch muscle fibers in short, explosive bursts. Power gives you the ability to lift a suitcase into an overhead compartment and gets you up from a chair. It also allows you to quickly recover if you trip and stumble.  If you’re unable to quickly step up onto a curb, that’s a lack of power.

To find out if you’re losing power, take the sit-to-stand test. Sit in a chair with a straight back and no arm rests and cross your arms over your chest. Start a timer for 30 seconds and count how many times you can move from sitting to standing. 

Men over 65 should be able to do 12 or more. Women over 65 should do 11 or more.

I was reluctant to try it because I thought it would hurt my knees. At age 87, with plenty of aches and pains, I was surprised to find that I had no trouble doing 12 of these moves in fairly quick succession and also that the moves didn’t hurt my knees. I passed the test. I’m sure this sit-to-stand exercise is good for you and that I should do it every day. But I’m also sure that I won’t.

For an introduction to this blog, see I Just Say No; for a list of blog topics, click the Topics tab.


No comments:

Post a Comment